Sunday, June 22, 2008

"School's out for summa!!"

Ok so maybe this is a little late, but I just couldn't leave this out since it has been such a huge part of my life. I taught the TWO most adorable preschool classes this year. One class being mostly 5 year olds and going on to kindergarten next year, and the other just 3 year olds (about half of them turned 4 during the school year). For most of my younger class (3 yr olds) this was their first experience being in school. I taught at Challenger School, where the preschool program is quite different from most preschools I've ever known. They have a very unique curriculum. It focuses a lot on preparing children (yes, as young as 2 years and 9 months!!) to be self reliant and a lot of phonics, math, art, science,and just day to day logical thinking. Some of my little 3 year olds were even reading! Although I can honestly say I have never worked so hard in my life (60 preschool age children can be pretty tiring, not to mention all of the preparation and work I put into it at home too) I just can't even express what a fun and rewarding experience it has been. Which brings me to the last day of school....THAT was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. It's so amazing how attached you can get to these little guys. I'm not gonna lie, it's nice to be done and be at home (which I didn't see much of this past year), but there were some tears...I guess this would be the perfect example of the term "bittersweet".

The last day of school was a circus party. We got to dress up as clowns or any circus character. It was really fun and a good way to end the school year. My little friends had fun. Nothin' like a party where overalls would be back in style!

Here are a few pics from that day.

This was my younger class, I forgot my camera for my 5 year olds.





The circus wouldn't be complete without a tight rope...




I had to put this one in too. Because...a)this is the only picture I have with me and one of my kids (one where we actually knew our picture was being taken). And b)this little guy and I had become really close. He was enrolled in the "extended program which I also taught till 6:00 every night. (I told you I was NEVER home!)
Me and Nick. Isn't he so cute? (I hope his mom doesn't mind that I put his picture up!)

5 comments:

Nikki said...

and those kids loved you so MUCH!!!!

Russ & Candace said...

What a great job for you!!! I bet the kids just loved you. I wish we still lived in Utah....I'd make Jax be in your preschool class. You look great!

Melisa said...

What a fun job to have! I bet you were the best teacher ever! I too would have put my daughter in your school if I was in Utah! What a fun teacher you are:)

Hillary said...

Hey Sarah, I finally got around to looking at your blog. I hope you don't mind. I have been trying to keep the kids busy this summer and so far have been pretty succesful, but now I am the tired one.

Joseph misses school a lot and keeps asking when it will be time to go back. He informed me that he wants the same teachers. He really loved you guys.

Thanks for all of your hard work. I hope you are having a fun summer.

Jamie and Mike said...

Sarah you're such a good teacher! Love your costume girl!