Wednesday, June 11, 2008

1 year down...many, many more to go.

It's so hard to believe that one year ago today I was on my death bed. Literally. I was in the ICU at Alta View Hospital, with a machine breathing for me. For those of you who didn't know, I had a stroke June 11th, 2007...Yes, you heard me right, a stroke! Crazy I know. It was the result of a nocturnal seizure (which basically means it happened during the night while I was sleeping). It made me pretty much stop breathing, and what little breathing I did do was apparently not sufficient. Bret, who sleeps with headphones in his ears, didn't hear my agonizing noises, so we really don't know how long I had gone on like that (me being unconscious and all). We do know that it had been too long since my brain had had enough oxygen to function properly...hence the stroke. Luckily I have no memory of this (duh). The last thing I remember was going to bed on Saturday night in the comfort of my own bed, and then waking up on a Tuesday afternoon in a hospital bed with a tube down my throat and my hand strapped down. To say that I was confused would be a huge understatement. I cannot tell you how horrifying it is to have no idea what is going on and looking up and seeing tubes all over the place and strange people you've never seen before in your life. Being that I had never been in an ICU room before, I really was not quite sure where I was. The room was so small (at least from what I remember) and nothing like any hospital room I had been in before with the nice big windows, bathroom, and tv. Nope not at all, this room was like a box. ugh. When I think back, I just feel so terrible for Bret, and my family. How awful would it be to not know if your wife was going to wake up, not to mention if she did wake up, she would not be the same girl you remember. I think at one point the doctor told Bret that there was a chance that I would have to learn to do simple things like tie my shoes all over again. Can you even imagine? I still think of that horrible experience every single day. I can't believe how incredibly lucky I am to be here. Not only that, but with great health to boot! In fact I feel healthier than I have in a long long time. It still took some time to recover, but by the time fall came I was back to work, and feeling more and more like my old self. I am so grateful for such wonderful family and friends who cared for me so much. Here's to many more great years to come!...

7 comments:

Ben & Ash said...

Wow, Sarah!!! That is amazing. I'm so glad that you are healthy and happy and all is well. Here's to many more years of good health ahead!!

Kim said...

Amen, sista!

Melisa said...

Girl, I totally didn't know about this! I am so happy to hear that you are ok now and you feel better then ever! Here's to many more years to your health!

Nikki said...

Fun seeing you today..... when I told Sydney all about it she screamed!!! She was so EXCITED!!!! Did you like him? I hope.. I think he is the best !

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie and Mike said...

Ok Sarah Jean....I've gotcha on my list now! Sorry I didn't call ya back last night...I got home later than I thought I would..then it was time to feed kids. I'll talk to ya soon though. LOVE the blog. I'm so happy you've joined the blogging world. And I'm so excited about???? Love you guys!

Hillary said...

That is soo scary. Did they know what caused it? I am glad you are OK.